We’ve all woken up in the morning and claimed we have nothing to wear, even when we own a lot of clothes. A capsule wardrobe aims to take the stress out of everyday dressing. The idea is that you have a smaller collection of clothes which all go together in different combinations, so no matter what you pick out, you’re bound to find a good outfit.
The best capsule wardrobes are built on tried-and-tested classics — here are the six essentials you need to start with.
1. A white T-shirt The perfect white T-shirt can be worn with practically anything — jeans, skirts, shorts, you name it, it works. It’s also a great piece for layering under jumpers in the winter, or underneath a strappy dress for a 90s look.
The best fabric should be light, breathable, and not too see-through. It’s worth investing in a high-quality tee that doesn’t lose its clean, white colour in the washing machine.
2. A smart shirt Pair it with suit trousers and a blazer for an office-ready outfit, or dress up your jeans for a weekend look that’s the perfect mix of casual and considered. Try an oversized men’s shirt for a cool, relaxed vibe, or go in the complete opposite direction and choose something with bows or ruffles for more of a feminine take.
3. A great-fitting pair of jeans Nothing is more versatile than a pair of jeans. They can be dressed up or dressed down, and then there are all the different cuts available.
It can be a bit overwhelming to shop for jeans when there’s so much choice, but it’s worth persisting. Sizes, styles and colours all vary from store to store, so if one shop’s selection isn’t working for you, move on to the next one.
The best jeans for each body type: *Athletic — the more relaxed cut of boyfriend jeans suggests a curvy figure *Hourglass — try a slim cut *Pear — skinny or straight-leg jeans in darker shades of denim *Plus-size — a high waist sits more comfortable as it won’t cut into your stomach *Petite — cropped cuts will suit your shorter legs *Tall — flares balance your proportions; they can be as wide or as subtle as you like
Ultimately, the best jeans for you are the ones that you feel most comfortable and happy in, but the list above is a good starting point if you need one.
4. A dress that makes you feel like your best self For some people, that might be a classic Little Black Dress. Others might prefer a splash of colour, and that’s okay too! The key is to choose the dress that you feel good in.
There are no rules about shape and style. However, bear in mind that the best investment is something you can wear to lots of different occasions, from weddings and christenings to casual lunches and dinner dates.
5. A pair of ankle boots Ankle boots never go out of style. From edgy black leather to cute, patterned booties, there’s something for everyone. This choice extends to heel height — there are flats, chunky heels and thin stilettos or kitten are all available.
6. A comfy coat The best coats can be thrown on and instantly make you look like you’ve made an effort, even though you haven’t done a thing. A trench coat will never go out of style, or why not try something brightly coloured to add a bit of cheer to winter mornings?